Saturday, July 18, 2009

Looking at the Now

This post first appeared in our church newsletter, The Southwest Spirit.

Last Saturday, July 11th, I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my ordination. It is hard for me to believe it has only been 10 years, mostly because of the way God has blessed me over that time. Ten years ago I was a single, youth minister, seminary student. In the years since I have been privileged to serve as an interim pastor, senior pastor, and for the lasts 3+ years associate pastor hereat Southwest. However, God’s greatest gift in this last decade has been Tara, and we celebrate 8 years of marriage next week. Time sure does fly.

The season in which our church finds herself will cause us to look both back to our past and forward to our future. However, as we look toward the future of our church and what God has for us, it is important that we do not let the present become what we ignore. Several in our church family have shared questions regarding plans for
preaching during this interim period. It has been my privilege to share with our church family from God’s Word these last two Sundays, and I look forward to continued opportunities. In addition, we will welcome guest speakers from time
to time.

This Sunday, we welcome back the Stockstill family. Randy, Robin, Kaitlyn, and Caid were active parts of our church family until their move to Vienna, MO, just a couple years ago. Randy will be sharing the message this coming Sunday morning, July 19. We also look forward to welcoming Dr. Alton Lacy, President of Missouri Baptist University, as our guest speaker on August 23. I am working with our deacon leadership to invite other guest speakers. While we face some uncertainty, this can be an exciting time for our church family. Please continue to pray for our church leaders, and I treasure your prayers for me as well.

Grace and peace,
James

No comments: